Monday, May 20, 2013

My Final Opinion on French Guiana

French Guiana seems like a nice, safe place to take the family. Its mix of culture is so abundant that the state does not have a defining group to associate with the land. If any one group is to be identified as the main inhabitants of French Guiana it would have to be the indigenous peoples or the Maroons. The French government has done an amazing job at running the country from a distance, allowing for the state of living and economy of French Guiana to be one of the most favorable in Latin America.

When it comes to blogging about French Guiana there is very little to speak of. There is minimal uprising of the people, no revolution, and for the most part all people are well off. For these reasons I have done my best to blog on all possible topics, but there is only so much. so my last blog is this; me talking about my blogging experience.

The most interesting things on French Guiana were the Maroon societies and the Devils Island. The Maroon Societies might possibly be the only group of people on the planet who have gone from western society to a primitive state. I have not heard of any anthropologists who have studied these societies and i am very interested to see what comes of them, and perhaps one day do some field work and study them.
The Devils Island might hold the record for horrific prison. Less than 10% of the original 3,000 convicts who applied for transfer from france survived their sentencing. Although this percent gradually increased with time, death and murder among prisoners was in excess for the entire period in which it was running.
Altogether this was a very interesting work and I am satisfied with the knowledge I have gained. Although this knowledge is satisfying I imagine that a different country would have allowed me to learn and write much more. if I were to be able to chose a second time, I would undoubtably choose a different country

No comments:

Post a Comment